Friday, August 6, 2010

Nauvoo (catch up from the end of June)

We got home from Salt Lake super, super late Saturday night.  I just couldn't get up for church Sunday morning...I JUST COULDN'T DO IT!  I'M NOT SUPERWOMAN.

Anyway.  Sadie went to school on Monday, Henry had an orthodontist appointment and I did laundry, cleaned the van, re-packed and we left for Nauvoo Tuesday.  The kids and I drove 7 hours to Joliet, IL.  The next morning I spent a huge amount of time trying to get earnest money wired for the FL house.  Then, there was a huge traffic jam, so I was late picking up Ben from the airport in Moline.  We got to Nauvoo just in time for dinner.  We were actually in Nauvoo for a smallish family reunion.  It was supposed to be my father-in-law's side.  However, it somehow shrunk to some of Ben's family, and some of his Aunt Robin's family.  Frankly, I didn't care who was going to be there, I just wanted to give the kids a chance to see Nauvoo.
By the Nauvoo Temple (courtesy Samuel)
The first day we were there we went to quite a few of the homes and shops.  There is a new (at least since I was there) area that showcases the different handicrafts of the era.  There was bread baking, wool spinning, etc.  The kids loved it.  They got to make rope.  

Every time that I have been to Nauvoo it has just been for part of a day.  This time we were there for 3 days.  We saw all of the shows, went on the carriage rides, walked the trail of tears, went to Carthage, went to the temple, walked downtown, went to more sites than I have been to before.  It was so fun and I am glad we went.

The kids LOVED it.  They just kept asking to see more buildings.  I think their favorite spot was the rope making and the "pioneer pastimes."  This was an area where you got to try out different games and clothes of the pioneers.











No comments: