Typically I don't equate anything with Provo as awesome. I think about the crowded town full of college kids, and how college and I didn't really get along. However, I did have awesome roommates, and many awesome experiences. I had the same 7 roommates for 2 years, then one got married, then after another semester another got married. So, 5 roommates for 3 years...then they left me to go on missions. Traitors!
Anyway, 2nd semester of my junior year was looking pretty bleak, since I knew that I was going to be alone with strangers my senior year. I wanted to do study abroad, but there was that whole money issue, along with the fact that most of the classes that they offer on study abroad are GE and I was way past that, so it wouldn't really have advanced me academically.
Anyway, my brother was offered a job that January doing sound at different events around campus and turned it down. However, because he is a great brother and knew that I wanted out of the MTC cafeteria, he told them that he had a sister that might be interested. I went and interviewed and I guess I knew enough of the terminology of audio systems, because I was hired. Other than my roommates, that job was the probably the biggest blessing I encountered at BYU. A couple of days after I was hired, my boss informed me that he was the technical director for the Ballroom Dance Tour Team. He was in charge of getting 4 technicians to tour with the team, and they only had 3. He asked if I would be interested in going on a 10 day tour to Arizona in a couple of days. No brainer: no school for 10 days? I'm there! Thankfully my parents were willing to help with the rent that month, and for many months after, as I went on 4 month long tours and another 10 day tour, along with some long weekends.
I didn't think about the fact that I was getting on a bus with 40 people that I didn't know until Matt was driving me to the bus. Then I got really nervous. I have been known to be shy, and frankly I was terrified. I am so grateful that I got on that bus. I went to Arizona, Nevada, California, the southern states, Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Malaysia (twice), Taiwan (twice), Singapore and the Philippines. The team, and that job were my lifeline after my roommates left.
I didn't think about the fact that I was getting on a bus with 40 people that I didn't know until Matt was driving me to the bus. Then I got really nervous. I have been known to be shy, and frankly I was terrified. I am so grateful that I got on that bus. I went to Arizona, Nevada, California, the southern states, Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Malaysia (twice), Taiwan (twice), Singapore and the Philippines. The team, and that job were my lifeline after my roommates left.
I got the opportunity to go to a 50 year reunion of the BDC this past weekend. My friend Elizabeth was in charge of the reunion and convinced me to go. My mother-in-law came to watch the kids for me...Thanks! I spent 3 days just enjoying catching up with friends I haven't seen in a dozen years. I loved every minute of it.
(Look closely Jenna)
(Look closely Jenna)




No comments:
Post a Comment