Saturday, December 26, 2009

Weekend in New York City

The first day we were there we slept in and then went to one of the branches of the Brooklyn public library to make a Sesame Street craft (Elmo puppets).  Then we met my sisters Emily and Jennifer, and Emily's boyfriend John and went to the Brooklyn Children's Museum.

It was fun (but not the part when I lost the camera (got it back), or the part where Ben thought Sadie was in the bathroom with me, and I thought she was waiting with Ben.  Turns out she had gone back to the "beach" in the above photo.)

It snowed most of the day, and there was a biting cold wind (which stayed with us the entire visit).  We went to Junior's for dinner...think cheesecake, and then called it a day.  Supposedly there is a neighborhood in Brooklyn that does amazing lights, but it was SO COLD and still snowing.

Sunday we woke up to a reported 10 inches of snow.  We got dressed in our church clothes and headed out to church.  The subway stop was about 1/4 mile away and when we got there we realized we didn't have our Metrocards.  So, we decided it was too late, and probably cancelled anyway. 

Later in the day we met up with my sisters and John again and went to Rockefeller Center and saw the tree and the ice skaters.


Then it was off to Macy's to see Santa Claus. 


Here are some pictures of "Santa Land." 


I was so impressed with the organization and the fact that we only waited for about 1/2 hour to see him.  He was probably the nicest Santa I have ever met.  This is actually the first time that we have ever taken our kids to see a Santa, so I don't mind (too much) that the one picture I bought was $20.  Sadie wouldn't talk to Santa, or sit by him, but she finally agreed to the picture when I told her she could have a milkshake for dinner. 

My favorite Christmas movies are White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street...so a picture with the Macy's Santa was a must.



Here are some pictures of some of the Macy's windows.

Dinner was at the Shake Shack...yum!


We also went to Grand Central Station and saw a five minute laser show on their famed ceiling, and then to the Time-Warner building in Columbus Circle to see these 14 foot lights cooridinated with Christmas music.  The laser show was ok...the huge Christmas stars were pretty cool.

Finally...subway ride back to hotel




No comments: