7 years ago
Sunday, June 1, 2008
Mt. Lebanon Police
Here in Pittsburgh we live in a borough named Mt. Lebanon. This is the reason for the title of the post. Yesterday was a lazy day for us. Ben isn't feeling well due to kidney stones and slept late and I was still in my pajamas while the kids were in the basement watching TV. At about noon (Ben was now up) one of the neighbor kids came asking if the boys could play. As he was leaving I heard an adult male voice ask him if his parents were home. I went to the door (in my pajamas with the broken drawstring) and saw a Mt. Lebanon police car and a policeman coming up my steps. What on earth? I told him that I lived here and he asked if everything was ok. I'm sure I looked very confused as I said, "Yes, should it not be?" Evidently they had received a 911 call from our house and when they tried to call back it went to the answering machine. We never even heard the phone ring. Of course we assumed the kids had been playing with the phone in the basement (which is rotary). Henry said that Samuel had been playing with it, but didn't know if he had moved the dial. Samuel said that he never touched the dial, just lifted up the handset. The police officer asked the kids if there was anything wrong (lovely, good thing it had been a nice peaceful morning or who knows what the kids would have said.) The officer said that on rotary phones if you pick them up and put them down enough that it sometimes places a 911 call (weird). Ben went downstairs and unplugged it. I thanked the officer for checking on us. I guess the phone had been left off the hook and when they tried to call back it went on call waiting through to the Voice Mail, because there was a VM from the police. We all figured Samuel had been the unknowing culprit (not his first visit from the police). Later that night when I was putting Henry in bed he told me that he might have called 911, because he had been moving the dial (of course when I asked him when the officer was there, he said he hadn't). I asked him if he knew that moving the dial was making a phone call, and he said he didn't. So I guess this means one police visit for Henry and one for Samuel. Any bets on when Sadie gets a visit?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
This is funny Sarah! My brother once called 911 on my Mom because she did not get up quick enough to fix him breakfast.
Post a Comment