I can't count how many times in the last couple of years I have gotten phone calls from the boy's school. No, it's not because they are in trouble, it's the school nurse. The kids are sent to the nurse anytime they bump their head. "Mrs. Gillis your son had a tower of blocks fall on him." "Mrs. Gillis your son bent down to get something under his desk and hit his head on the way back up." "Mrs. Gillis your son tripped and fell and hit his head." Sometimes I get 2 a day...one for each kid. Once I got 3 in a day!
So, in one of life's ironies, the winner of the first Gillis family concussion goes to: Sadie.
Yesterday at about 5:00pm all the kids were in the basement and I heard Sadie yell, "Mom, William's coming upstairs." So, I left the computer room and went to the top of the stairs. Unfortunately, I heard a really big smack just as I got to the top of the stairs. Sadie had her arms around William on the tile floor and the were both screaming. I can't believe how terrified I was. It was so loud. I saw no blood, so, I got them both picked up and on my lap. I didn't know the damage of course, but frankly, I was freaked out. I got them both calmed down and couldn't find any bumps on either head. William seemed fine after he stopped screaming. Sadie immediately said she wanted a nap. At that point I had the kids start putting their shoes on....I was headed to Urgent Care. Then, she said she was fine, so I thought I'd wait a bit. Then I found her sleeping on her bed. I kept waking her up, but she wasn't particularly interested, but she seemed alert enough. A couple of hours later we were headed to a birthday party at the drive-in and Sadie got quite agitated, so I left Henry there and drove the rest of us to Urgent Care. On the way she threw up. Urgent Care couldn't do anything, so my lovely neighbors took Samuel and William (and even offered to drive me to the hospital.) We drove to Children's Hospital where she had a CT. Thankfully it was normal, and they determined it was a concussion. I actually made it home before Henry did. She has thrown up 3 more times today, but the Dr's say it's to be expected with that big of a bump. I think I'll call again tomorrow just to be on the safe side.
Her sticker after the CT scan:




3 comments:
Still much better than the hospital visit we had last time we were relocating.
Poor Sadie and poor you without Ben there. My kids are excited to visit with yours.
Sadie is in good company, Katie got a concussion playing basketball last weekend! I hope she is doing better! Throwing up really is the worst!!!
Post a Comment